Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Lesson from "Walk the Line"

My wife and I saw the new movie Walk the Line the other night.  The movie is a “biopic” retelling much of Johnny Cash’s early life.  We both really enjoyed the movie.

Johnny Cash’s story is a tragic one.  Religion/Faith is just as prevalent a theme in the film as addiction and domestic violence.

However, one of the most interesting scenes in the film depicted Johnny Cash meeting with recording executives.  Cash was trying to convince them to record a concert he was planning at Folsom State Prison in California.  The scene goes something like this:

Recording Exec: “Listen Johnny, your fan base is made up of good, church-going Christian folk.  They don’t wanna hear you singin’ to a bunch of murderers and rapists just to cheer them up!”

Johnny Cash: “Then they aren’t really Christians.”

Good stuff…

8 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Nancy Smith said...

I would like to contact the blogger jj. I want to quote from "On the 'Ownership Society'" in a book I am writing and thought you might like to be identified. If so, please contact me at webmaster@workplacespirituality.info

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous i.g.w.t said...

tahts some good stuff christians are supposed to win over the sinners, not conict them

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger thebluestbutterfly said...

Christians are to minister to those in prisons....I have not been able to bring myself to go into a prison like this though (I want to but it would take a lot for me to be that brave).

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Godzheart said...

Good pick of scene from the movie, its true how many times we christians are so willing to judge someone else...sometimes another christian too..and feel that we are better than the other. That scene truly shows how Christ minded he must have been. Wish more Christians understand that the world does not need more christianity, but more Christ like Christians, who will demonstrate the true love of Jesus to them.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I don't know if anyone reads this anymore, but I'm trying to find Josh. It's your former co-intern from Middletown, and I've lost your email address. Hit me up. My full name (becca, not rebecca) at gmail.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

becca,

forgot your last name! email me at leejoshr@yahoo.com.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Wyatt Roberts said...

I'm really just posting this so I can hook with you guys on Facebook. I couldn't find your profile information...can you post back some info?

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Melina said...

I'm not sure I agree with Godzheart about Johnny Cash being Christ minded just because he saw through those false Christians. After all, any Athiest can see through a false Christian; they're not stupid and can pick a hypocrite a mile away. But it does make one think about what it means to be a Christian and that even people who don't believe in Christ seem to have a fairly decent idea of what a Christian should be or how they should behave. Sure, you can say it's legalistic, but if you really can tell a Christian by his fruit, than what fruit should he be displaying?
At least Johnny Cash has pointed out one thing: love and concern for the less fortunate should be fairly high on the list.

PS: I like this blog. Very interesting. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home