Sunday, July 03, 2005

The next Justice

Remember me? Yeah, I post here too. I've got a lot that I need to blog (personal health issues, family employment issues, etc), and I promise to get to them sooner rather than later.

On a seperate note, I wanted to speculate on who President Bush will nominate to be the Supreme Court now that there is a vacancy...

My guess is that Alberto Gonzales will be nominated to the Court. Why? From what I have heard, Gonzales is a MODERATE on social issues like abortion, and WOULD NOT likely overturn Roe. Doesn't sound like a Bush appointee, you say? In the words of my favorite college football analyst, "Not so fast my friend..."

Ask yourself what single issue has been uniting the Republican base for years, and you'll soon realize that overturning Roe could be devasting to the Republican Party. As soon as conservative "Christians" get what they want (i.e. a pro-life justce to overturn Roe), abortion will no longer be their litmus test in voting. Republicans would no longer be able to count on their votes merely by claiming to be "pro-life."

The Republican Party has no intention of overturning Roe, just making people think they do. Don't get me wrong, I know and respect that many - if not most - social conservatives in office want to see Roe done away with. In fact, I wish they would succeed. My contention, however, is that the highest members of their party are unwilling to make that happen, knowing just what is at stake for their base.

Appointing Gonzales, someone Republicans could justify as the first Hispanic on the Court (to replace the first woman), could be just want Karl Rove is looking for. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Attorney General Gonzales in Iraq encouraging our troops as we speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home