Thursday, May 05, 2005

"I've got Jesus in my heart. I'm sorry for any pain I've caused."

Lonnie Pursley was convicted of robbing and brutally murdering Robert Earl Cook in 1997. The crime appears to have been related to Lonnie's severe drug addiction, as he pawned the rings that he stole to buy drugs. On Monday, Lonnie received a letter from Robert Cook's family: they forgive him! Lonnie was grateful, and his response was, "I've got Jesus in my heart. I'm sorry for any pain I've caused." Lonnie also thanked fellow inmates who have been supportive over the years. And then, the State of Texas killed him.

His last words to his friends on death row: "I'm going home, OK? Y'all stay strong."

(AP)

4 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Oh my gracious. Sometimes, I'd love to give Texas back to Mexico. What a witness from Pursley, though!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Infission said...

Welcome Julie! The two authors of this blog hail from Texas but currently live in New York. We both have a deep, love-hate relationship with the place. (Lately, as you can see, there has been more hate than love.) Hopefully the continuing growth of the Latino population in Texas, which is mostly Roman Catholic, will soften Texas's obscene death penalty law and policy.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger 42 said...

Especially in Harris County (Houston metro area). Approximately 1/4 of all executions in Texas come out of Harris County.

The state has 254 counties.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger 42 said...

Harris county's population was estimated to be 3,596,086 in 2003, or 16.26% of Texas' population as a whole...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home