Monday, February 14, 2005

Needs

I have long argued - though rarely articulated intelligently - that people are not capable of helping themselves unless they have certain needs met first. This has long been my attack at conservatives who proclaim that success is as easy as helping one's self. From a personal perspective, I know that I would not have been able to succeed in school or life growing up if I had to worry about food, shelter, or things like family support. I know that I owe who I am in large part to other people.

Thanks to my friend at CepSpeak, however, I can now point to some scholarship supporting me on the matter: Abraham Maslow's "Heirarchy of Needs." For those of you wondering how this relates to us here at the Social Gospel Today, this should sum it up:
According to Maslow, there are general types of needs (physiological, safety, love, and esteem) that must be satisfied before a person can act unselfishly.
In other words, if your needs aren't being met, it isn't possible for you to meet the needs of others. To those whom much is given, must is indeed expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home