Monday, January 10, 2005

Reconciling Religious Faith with Tsunami Deaths

I just heard a phenomenal story on NPR about reconciling religious faith with the tremendous death and destruction of the tsunami tragedy. The story interviews Catholic, Buddhist Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, and Hindu religious leaders. If you've never followed a link from this site, make this your first one. Our views on the matter generally accord with the Reform rabbi in the NPR story: "God does not micromanage the Universe."

2 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Guitanguran said...

Your post brought out the dogmatism in me :-)My perspective is that if a Supreme Being is going to be just that, omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, I've got to believe He's in the details as much as the big picture. Otherwise I'd be limiting the scope of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence. I have two reactions to the disaster there: (1)It could have been worse. Looking through the Old Testament and looking at my own life, the biggest problem we've got is not paying any attention what God requires of us. Considering how bad a job we as humans do of paying attention, its wonder in my mind that God hasn't taken his finger off and let the world spin out of control and head straight for the Sun. (2)As a self-professing (and fundamentally dogmatic) Christian, I think we need to help those folks every way we can.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger jj said...

Guitanguran, your second reaction is something we can all agree on. With that in mind, we can be true allies despite our theological differences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home