Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Grrrrr!

Gripe of the day. In tax class this morning, the professor is talking to us about deducting interest on debt from your taxable income (i.e. things like: can I deduct the interest I pay credit card companies on my account from my overall income tax burdern? -- you can't, by the way). In asking who a provision allowing for the deduction of interest on student loans would NOT benefit, said professor casually remarkes that law students like us will not benefit from this provision because we will all be firm lawyers making too much money to qualify. The assumption here - that we will all work for giant corporate law firms - was infuriating, but sadly, probably true to a large extent. But it gets worse...

Then, with a smile on her face, the professor says, "well, at least one of you will hopefully go work in the trenches for legal aid and not make enough to qualify. Ha ha ha," as if no one would be stupid enough to do such a thing. And the whole class laughs. The whole class that is, except for me. I guess I was the only Christian in the room.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Thank you for your excellent insight and inspiring idealism. It's a breath of fresh air in a world where the phrase "breath of fresh air" is a cynically over-utilized cliche.

I will bookmark your blog and return often. Thanks as well for your excellent links. You've given me a lot to think about.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger jj said...

Thanks and come back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home