Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Trash, trash, and more trash.

It occured to me the other day that I must have killed a lot of trees in my life. Not directly (though I did down several in college), but indirectly through the use of paper products. After printing out a ton (okay, more like 15 pounds) of reading and applications, I thought to myself, "wow, I really need to plant a tree to make up for all of this."

But that's not even the tip of the iceberg. Every twinkie box I throw away, every newspaper I read, every note I take in class, almost every product I buy at the store - they all involve paper. Over a lifetime, this undoubtedly adds up to a lot of trees that have been felled for me personally.

Considering that I have only planted 3 trees in my life, things seem terribly out of whack. Being that the environment as a whole is a resource given to all humanity (past, present, and future), it only makes good Social Gospel sense to not waste easily preserved resources for your own lazy habits. Here's some easy tips. Think about it next time you are at the grocery store or complaining about how often you take out the trash - you might be surprised with yourself. The point is not to be a hermit that doesn't have any trash; the point is to be more aware of how your actions affect the rest of the world.

1 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could just really plant a bunch of trees. The Jewish National Fund will do it for you for $10 a tree, which seems paltry when compared to the price of all those twinkies. www.jnf.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home