Thursday, September 23, 2004

Lunch Today.

Not quite the promised education post, but...

The names changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

So I had lunch today with two fellow law students. One of them (A) is a good friend here at school, and we eat together often. It was my first time to meet the other person (B). A and B worked with one another at a not-to-be-named giant corporate law firm this past summer.

A: "I worked with B last summer at the firm."
Me: "Uh oh, I guess I'll have to be on guard - two firm guys against one!"
All: "hahaha"
B (to Me): "So where did you work last summer?"
Me: "I worked at [federal government position]. I'm one of those save the world types."
B (condescendingly): "Ha ha ha. Good luck with that."

I was totally offended at his arrogance. He was really like, "what a waste of time, it's not like you can make a difference - you might as well make all you can for yourself." Some people call me arrogant for thinking I can change the world. Well you know what, if arrogance is a feeling of superiority over someone, then it isn't me that's the arrogant one - it is the person who thinks their personal comfort level is more imporant than helping needy people.

Guess what buddy: if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem! And you know how I know? Everyone is part of the problem. We could all do so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home