Sunday, August 08, 2004

Thoughts for Sunday

On some of the more speculative doctrines the social gospel has no contribution to make.

-- Walter Rauschenbusch
A Theology for the Social Gospel
    I don't go in for theological reflection very often. I guess I don't really even have a systematic theology. Maybe that's why the blog comes off as much political as religious most of the time. But, I do think it's time that I give some social gospel answers to some questions that many Christians deem fundamental:
  • Is the "Fall of Man" from the Garden of Eden the origin of sin?
  • Is the nature of God trinitarian -- i.e., three persons in one?
  • Was Jesus fully divine, fully human, or both at the same time?
  • Was Jesus' birth a virgin birth?
  • Was Jesus descended from David?
  • Did Jesus rise from the dead?
  • Does the Eucharist (or communion) turn literally or symbolically or otherwise into the body and the blood of Jesus?
  • etc., etc., etc.

    My social gospel answer to each question: I do not know, and I do not care because it makes no difference. I do know that I have seen the Divine through the life and words of Jesus, and so I try to follow him. Beyond this, no theology is necessary. It is not understanding Christianity but rather living Christianity which is the correct challenge. I find trying (and failing) to follow Jesus sufficiently difficult to last a lifetime. I don't have time for theological imponderables.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home