Thursday, July 29, 2004

Social Gospel take on Kerry's speech

There is one thing about John Kerry's acceptance speech that I want to point out.  Kerry criticized the Republican's claim to be the party of "values."  In his speech, Kerry pushed towards a broader understanding of what the term "values" means.  Hopefully, it's apparent that this is what I've been trying to do in these pages.  I don't agree with everything Kerry says, but I do agree that values are about much more than sex and curse words.  I'm not sure conservatives understand that.  Making sure our neighbors have health care, have a job, have a decent place, have enough to eat, etc. is a moral responsibility.  (Love your neighbor as yourself anybody?)  It is a question of values.  When voters pick a candidate that represents their values, I hope they understand that there are true value questions all over the map and not just in people's bedrooms.

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Lost In NY said...

Excerpt from Kerry's acceptance speech last night:

"I don't wear my religion on my sleeve. But faith has given me values and hope to live by, from Vietnam to this day, from Sunday to Sunday. I don't want to claim that God is on our side. As Abraham Lincoln told us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side.

And whatever our faith, one belief should bind us all: The measure of our character is our willingness to give of ourselves for others and for our country.

These aren't Democratic values. These aren't Republican values. They're American values. We believe in them. They're who we are. And if we honor them, if we believe in ourselves, we can build an America that is stronger at home and respected in the world."

John Kerry couldn't have proclaimed Jesus' teaching any more clearly: The measure of our character is our willingness to give of ourselves for others and for our country (and for everyone for that matter).

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Lost In NY said...

One more quote: "Values are not just words," Mr. Kerry said. "They're what we live by. They're about the causes we champion and the people we fight for."

Amen John, Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home